Admissions for Ph.D program in American Studies (Dawn, January 9th, 2011)
American Studies (PhD)
Quaid-i-Azam University, Islamabad, has invited applications for admission to Ph.D. programs for Spring Semester 2011.
Applicant must have completed his/her M.Phil degree in one of the following subjects:
|American Studies, International Relations, Political Science, D.S.S., History, Literature, Pakistan Studies, Sociology, Economics, Mass Communication and Media Studies.|
- The minimum CGPA should be 3.00 or first division in MS/M.Phil. or equivalent degree from a recognized university.
- Those admitted have to complete/pass 18 credit hour course work within four semesters as per the University rules.
- Those admitted in Ph.D. program and not passed M.Phil./MS or MS from abroad have to pass 42 credit hours courses (24+18) within six semesters as per the University rules.
- A government college/public sector university teacher or member of the research staff of a government research organization who has shown undoubted promise for research and holds MA/M.Sc. degree may be recommended by the Admission Committee for admission directly to Ph.D. program. However, the students would have to complete the course work required for M.Phil./MS.
- Those who seek admission in Ph.D. without having obtained M.Phil. or its equivalent degree must pass M.Phil. entry test and interview (wherever available). The schedule for M.Phil. entry test is already announced.
- Admission to Ph.D. program will only be given to those students who have achieved a score of at least 60% in the NTS GAT subject test of their respective discipline or should have scored International GRE with 50% percentile (valid for admissions until December 31, 2011).
- No Objection Certificate (NOC) from the employer is required to be attached with Admission Form and routed through proper channel in case of in-service candidates.
- Admission to Ph.D. program is made on a competitive basis. The minimum period for completion of Ph.D. program shall be three years whereas maximum period shall be seven years.
- Students applying for admission are required to submit a copy of synopsis/research work. Admission will be given subject to the availability of the Supervisor in the field of research strictly according to Higher Education Commission’s (HEC) requirements.
- A student cannot be awarded two Ph.D.s. on the same research material/document.
- The application shall be submitted directly to the respective Chairperson/Director of the department/centre/institute in which the student wishes to pursue his/her studies.
- Shortlisted candidates will be called for interview/presentation of research proposals.
A candidate seeking admission to Ph.D. program shall apply on the prescribed form. The Admission Form can be obtained from the University Admissions Section for Rs.650 or by sending self addressed envelope of 8.5” x 11” to the Assistant Registrar (Admissions) along with a Bank Draft of Rs.700 in favor of “Treasurer, Quaid-i-Azam University” by January 17, 2011. For further information/details, please visit Quaid-i-Azam University Website (www.qau.edu.pk).
Three copies of the prescribed Application Forms duly filled in and supported by the attested copies of educational certificates/degrees and research work may be submitted to the respective Chairman of the Department/Director of the Institute/Centre by January 26, 2011. Applications that are incomplete or received after due date shall not be entertained by Quaid-i-Azam University.